Florida-based law firm Broad and Cassel has again received recognition by prominent legal guide Chambers USA: A Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers, a legal directory ranking law firms and individual attorneys. In total, the 2015 edition highlights 26 Broad and Cassel attorneys as leaders in their respective fields, while the firm is listed as among the best in eight statewide practice areas.
The firm’s Health Law Practice Group once again received top honors in Florida, achieving the highest ranking awarded by Chambers USA with only one other law firm in the state. Seven individual attorneys were also recognized. The group’s leading attorneys, Gabriel Imperato and Mike Segal, received national recognition in their respective areas of practice, ranking among the best in the country.
According to the guide, Broad and Cassel’s Health Law Practice Group is “Renowned for its breadth and depth of expertise in regulatory compliance and enforcement work, drawing on significant white-collar criminal defense experience.” It is the “Go-to practice for False Claims Act actions” and is “noted for its strength in healthcare transactions and increasing presence in data security matters.”
The research team at Chambers USA conducts in-depth interviews with clients and referral sources to gather information about lawyers and law firms. Broad and Cassel clients commented that the group has “tremendous experience, connections and relationships at both state and federal government levels” and is comprised of “excellent practitioners.” The following excerpts were included in the latest guide about the seven Broad and Cassel health law attorneys who have been recognized as “Leaders in their Field”:
- Gabriel Imperato maintains his “great reputation” in the space, gaining particular praise for his expertise in fraud and abuse matters. His recent practice demonstrates his skill in defending against False Claims Act investigations involving matters such as reimbursement and Stark Law.
- The “phenomenal” Mike Segal is highlighted for his extensive transactional practice and is described as “a very effective advocate for his clients.” He recently oversaw the sale of the Metropolitan Hospital of Miami.
- Commentators hold Michael Bittman in high acclaim for his deep experience in advising on regulatory matters, particularly those impacting hospitals. He regularly represents clients in litigation brought under the False Claims Act.
- Lester Perling is recognized for his broad regulatory compliance expertise, gaining significant praise for his handling of Medicaid-related matters. His recent representations include advising Miami Behavioral Health Center on its voluntary disclosure to the Office of Inspector General.
- Douglas Mannheimer is particularly noted for his work serving as legislative counsel to Florida Healthcare Association. He draws on significant experience in administrative and regulatory work, regularly representing clients before major state agencies.
- Stephanie Russo is highly respected for her litigation capabilities, handling disputes involving Stark Law, HIPAA and the False Claims Act, among other areas. She is also active in advising her provider client base on operational matters and regulatory compliance.
- Stephen Siegel is recognized as a “very smart” practitioner. His strength in matters arising from the Stark and Anti-Kickback statutes gains particular praise from interviewees.
The Chambers USA: A Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers, is an independent, objective, research-based legal directory. Attorneys and law firms are selected for inclusion by strong recommendations from the market and according to reputation. This year, more than 150 full-time editors and researchers conducted thousands of interviews in order to determine the most exceptional law firms and attorneys.